Friday, July 25, 2008

Hill City and Rushmore







So like all good vacations, plans change. Well, some of them. The first thing my son saw, on our first full day in the Black Hills, as we walked out of our hotel were some wild turkeys. Man was he excited. Then after that we took an 1880's train from Keystone to Hill City and then spent some time in Hill City and returned back on the train. Unfortunately, the steam engine that should have been pulling us had some maintenance issues so a regular diesel pulled us pulled ways. That was quite a bit of our day. We were sort of planning to go to Crazy Horse today as well, but that plan got axed. My mother-in-law forgot some medicine for my father-in-law and the nearest pharmacy is in Rapid City. So off to Rapid City her and I went. Once again plans were foiled and to make a long story short, there were complications and we could not get the medicine that was needed. Hopefully everything will go okay. We came back to our hotel and ate a wonderful dinner of bread, salad, and steak and cheese chimichangas. The chimichangas were supposed to be a rotisserie chicken that you can get at SAM's Club, however, they are not available at the one in Rapid City. Oh well, you make do with what ya got. After dinner we dedicided to go up to Mount Rushmore for their evening program. We stayed up there a couple of hours and saw the lighting of the memorial. It was pretty exciting. I'm not sure what we are going to do tomorrow, but if it was half as entertaining as today, we are all instore for a wicked awesome day!

1 comment:

Alan and Shelley said...

You are a great sport for dealing with the in-laws the way you do. I'm remembering our trip to Mt. Rushmore and my dad, upon hearing that we had gone, said to me,"I wish I had gone, I've never been there before and would like to have gone with you. I felt so bad that we had not asked him to go along with us that i swore every vacation from then on would be with him. It was hard, but I'm so glad we took him with us to all the national parks in Utah and to Hawaii. I admire you and Luci for taking the oldsters with you. I know they appreciate it and you will always be glad you did it.